Monday, October 31, 2011

Daisy

I decided I needed an older dog to avoid all the trials that go with a puppy. Daisy seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. I found out that this was not totally true. I quickly found out that she is a climber, a jumper and can run like the wind. The first night, she was great. The next day I saw her walk on my furniture.....oh not my sofa or chairs but on the tables and if something was in the way...too bad. I was plugging in a cord on my computer and heard Daisy when she jumped up on my computer chair. I looked up in time to see two brown eyes watching me as the chair rolled by at an alarming speed. As it turned out, neither she nor the chair nor anything else was hurt. When I left her the first time she climbed on the night stand and knocked off a lamp and broke it. So now when I leave, Daisy stays in the bathroom with water and a nice comfy rug and everything stays safe. Yesterday, she jumped on the bed and climbed on the pillows, hung herself over the wooden headboard,
parted the curtains and was looking out the window. Daisy loves to be outside but when not on a leash she runs constantly and covers 4 acres so fast that there's no way I could even thinking of catching her. If I wait long enough, somethiing will happen that will slow her down long enough to catch her. This has taken as long as an hour and 45 minutes and she's been running the whole time.
Keep her? You bet! I can hardly wait to see what she does next.

1 comment:

  1. We twice thought we could contain an active pup in a bathroom. One peeled several yards of wallpaper behind the toilet and chewed right through the drywall exposing pink fiberglass, which she strewed around the room. We weren't gone very long at all. Years later a different dog, who was older and normally calm, scratched through a hollow door in a rented condo in the time it took us to eat dinner out. After that we became fans of crate training, and I highly recommend it both for your peace of mind and to keep the animal safe. Dogs are den animals, and staying in a small confined space can help them to feel secure. Do not use the crate for more than a few hours and never for punishment. Give lots of praise and rewards for going into the crate. My brother had a dog who learned to retreat into his crate whenever he wanted peace and quiet. The children had been taught never to bother Noodle while he was in there. Best wishes for you and Daisy!

    ReplyDelete