Saturday, December 10, 2011

Nels

On September 29th (not long after Nels was born), my parents' house in Richmond was struck by lightning and exploded on the spot. No humans were hurt, and the cats made it out with burns on their paws, (and have since recovered fully) but unfortunately our loving dog died immediately. My parents (recent empty-nesters), especially my dad, were completely heartbroken and distraught after this accident. On December 3rd I went to Tomball AAR to find a puppy as a Christmas present for my dad, and I know I couldn't have chosen a better place. I could feel the love in the room as so many people were making additions to their families that day. As soon as I held Nels (a lab-heeler mix), I couldn't put him down. He was about 10 weeks old, and as sweet as can be. I had to do a lot of driving that day, and he slept in my lap the entire way.

I hid Nels in a room at my parents' new house when I gave my dad a card that said "Congratulations on your new baby boy!" And after some confusion on his part, I ran to get the puppy. When I called his name, my dad's jaw dropped, and all he could say was "No, you didn't! You didn't!" When he held Nels in his arms for the first time, tears came to his eyes. I knew I did good picking Nels. I went back to school, and after a week of Nels living with my parents, they couldn't be happier. He has already put on some weight, and is incredibly smart!! He gets along great with our two female cats (we renamed him Jack--like from Three's Company!). My dad gushed about our new puppy all weekend. How smart he is, how sweet he is, how he's learning house rules so well, and mostly how much he's livened up the house. Jack couldn't have found a better home. Surrounded by toys, well-fed, and smothered with love, he is definitely a spoiled little boy! We can't wait to see what kind of dog he grows to be. I am so thankful that I went to AAR as early as I did because now I can't imagine our family without him. He was such a perfect addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment